The Chikuma was completed in May 1939 as the second ship of the Tone-class. She was the final heavy cruiser to be built by the Japanese Navy and featured a distinctive design which concentrated four twin 20.3cm main gun turrets forward of the bridge in order to allow unimpeded launching of her six floatplanes from the aft deck during battle. Chikuma often accompanied the Japanese Navy’s aircraft carriers since her floatplanes provided considerable reconnaissance capabilities to the fleet, and she was present at such important engagements as the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Battle of Midway. She continued to serve valiantly until her demise at the hands of U.S. carrier aircraft during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October 1944.
Standard displacement: 11,200 tons
Power Output: 152,000hp
Maximum Speed: 35 knots
Armament: Twin 20.3cm Gun Turrets x4, Twin 12.7cm Gun Turrets x4, Triple 61cm Torpedo Launchers x4, Twin 25mm Gun Mounts x6
Aircraft: Kawanishi E7K and Nakajima E8N Reconnaissance Floatplanes
About the Model.
- This is a 1/350 scale plastic assembly kit of the Japanese Heavy Cruiser Chikuma.
- Length: 576mm, Beam: 71mm. The sharp form of the ship has been accurately reproduced. Model depicts the Chikuma in early-war form, prior to being refitted with additional equipment. Differences from the Tone such as the signal lights and rangefinder antennas are faithfully depicted.
- The ship’s hull separates into port and starboard parts and one-piece lower hull helps to produce the form of the beautiful bow.
- The turrets feature precision-molded panel lines and radiator slits.
- Parts such as masts and antennas are made from strong ABS plastic parts.
- Bridge windows and searchlight lenses are reproduced with clear plastic parts.
- Metal parts depict anchor chains and propeller shafts.
- Nakajima E8N and Kawanishi E7K floatplanes can be set on the deck. Display stands for depicting aircraft in flight are included.
- Full hull model display stand included.
- E7K and E8N floatplanes feature finely molded details.
New parts enable depiction of the Chikuma at the time of her completion.
Parts for two types of gun barrels enable posing in standard or anti-aircraft elevations.
Model may be assembled as a full hull model with display stand or waterline model.
Photo-etched parts are included to depict details such as crane, catapult, aircraft propellers, and trolleys.
Main Tamiya Colors for Painting the Chikuma.
TS-33 - Bottom Section of Hull
TS-67 - Superstructure
TS-69 - Deck Areas